North-West University (NWU) Library and Information Service (LIS) has taken a significant step into the future by going live on 06 December 2022, with OCLC’s cloud-based library management platform, Worldshare Management Service (WMS), which is distributed and supported by Sabinet in South Africa. The adoption of the modern, fourth-generation library management system represents a breakthrough for the NWU community, as it replaces its outdated legacy system.
Sabinet, a trusted partner to the LIS department, facilitated the implementation of WMS across NWU’s three campuses, enabling centralised and seamless end-to-end workflows that benefit both staff and students. The new system enhances reliability for library operations and provides improved security for NWU and LIS data. WMS’s well-integrated design eliminates redundancy and duplication of efforts, and its reliable cloud-based platform supports the university’s recent adoption of a hybrid mode of working.
WorldShare Management Services (WMS) was selected by the NWU LIS department for its core functionalities, including:
- Eliminating siloed systems through a unified system.
- Open API offering with the capability to integrate with local systems.
- Exceptional customer support from vendors/service providers.
- Advanced analytics and insights with accurate data for strategic planning and improved customer engagement.
- Discovery tool included in the package, providing potential cost savings on third-party services.
- Cloud-hosted EZProxy with an analytics tool for e-resources, offering additional opportunities for cost savings.
- Compatibility with already subscribed Sabinet and OCLC modules (Acquisition and Cataloguing, InterLibrary Loan (local and international).
Financial sustainability was a key factor for the university when selecting WMS, as it fits within the current allocated budget of the NWU LIS department. Sabinet’s role in offering WMS adds significant value by providing a cutting-edge solution that meets the needs of the NWU, and similar communities.
For more information about Sabinet and WorldShare Management Service (WMS), please contact email@example.com