This privacy statement describes how SABINET collects and uses the personal information you provide to SABINET. It also describes the choices available to you regarding our use of your personal information and how you can access and update this information. SABINET is committed to protecting the privacy of users of its website and services. To better inform you of our policy concerning user privacy, we have adopted the following terms, which adhere to the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and Protection of Personal Information Act (POPIA) 4 of 2013.
The Information SABINET Collects
Data Integrity; Use of the Information
Other Tracking Technologies and Automated-Decision Making Practices
Onward Transfer of Information
Your Consent; Opting Out
Access, Erasure, and Correction
Enforcement and Dispute Resolution
The personal information that SABINET collects will depend on how you are using the SABINET Websites or services.
- To enable your access to the SABINET Websites and services, we may collect information concerning the institution’s internet protocol address, your username and password, or other authentication methods.
- To facilitate your order through the Sabinet Online Journal Platform that facilitates the purchase of articles from publishers we may collect your name, postal address, email address and transactional information. We collect but do not store your credit card details through a third party service provider.
- In connection with your creation of a MySabinet account, we collect your name, email address, username, and password, as well as other information you may provide.
- We also may collect certain non-personally identifiable information, such as the type of browser you are using (e.g., Firefox, Internet Explorer), the type of operating system you are using (e.g., Windows or Mac), and the domain name of your Internet service provider.
- We may collect personally identifiable information through correspondence you send to us through optional surveys and in connection with statements you may post on any SABINET-related page on social networking sites.
SABINET does not knowingly collect personally identifiable information from anyone under the age of 16. If it is discovered that we have collected PII from someone under 16 we will promptly delete that information.
We use the personal information collected in ways that are compatible with the purposes for which it was intended to be used: to enable your use of the SABINET Websites and services; to respond to your inquiries; for system administration, customer support, and troubleshooting purposes; for new product announcements and product updates; for service announcements; for sending newsletters; to improve the design of the SABINET Websites; to enable us to enforce our SABINET Terms and Conditions of Use; and in aggregate form, to track and analyse site usage. Further, we may use your name, statement, comment, and affiliation in conference presentations, newsletters, and marketing and announcement materials where we have obtained your permission. SABINET will take reasonable steps to ensure that personal information is relevant to its intended use, accurate, complete, and current. If you wish to opt out of our use of your personally identifiable information see the “Your Consent; Opting Out” section below.
SABINET uses the following types of cookies:
Authentication and Security
These cookies are used when a user is seeking to access content or create or log into a user account. The cookies are also used to prevent fraudulent use of login credentials and ensure security of user data. These cookies contain information regarding the user’s institution through which the user has access and/or the user’s IP address including regional geographic information connected to such IP address.
These cookies contain information concerning features of relevant SABINET websites to allow users to customise the way they interact with such site.
Analytics with Third Party Cookies
These cookies are used to collect information about how users interact with each of the SABINET sites. This information is also used to compile reports to help SABINET improve the respective site, including reports on the number of visitors to the site, where the visitors have come from and what pages the users visit on the site. Third party cookies may also be used to assist users with support and diagnose identified issues with SABINET sites.
As with most websites, SABINET gathers certain information automatically and stores it in log files. This information may include internet protocol (IP) addresses, browser type, internet service provider (ISP), referring/exit pages, operating system, date/time stamp, and/or clickstream data. We link this automatically collected data to other information we collect about you.
Through this policy, we will notify individuals of any automated-decision making practices we may engage in regarding PII, including the logic involved and the significance of the decision as well as the consequences for you. We also will ensure that you may opt out of such automated-decision making practices.
SABINET may work with other organisations that provide specific services for us, such as credit card processing. We will provide only the personal information necessary for the third party to provide these services for us. These organisations may not use personal information except for the purpose of providing these services.
SABINET does not sell or share personal information about or the purchasing history of individual users, except as set forth above and in the following circumstances:
- In certain situations, SABINET may be required to disclose personal data in response to lawful requests by public authorities, including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements. If required to do so by law or if we believe in good faith that such action is necessary to comply with the law or a legal proceeding; to protect against violations of our Terms and Conditions of Use; or to protect and defend our rights and property or the rights and property of rights holders whose content is made available through the SABINET Websites and services; with service providers with whom we have entered into agreements to assist us with our business operations;
- If SABINET is involved in a merger, acquisition, or sale of all or a portion of its assets, you will be notified via email and/or a prominent notice on our website of any change in ownership or uses of your personal information, as well as any choices you may have regarding your personal information;
In addition, SABINET may share general usage data in aggregated form so that no personal information is identifiable to participating institutions, content providers, researchers, and the general public. SABINET will provide you with all of your retained personal information provided at registration (where applicable) on request.
By using SABINET Websites, you consent to the collection and use, in accordance with this policy, of the information you provide to us. We will remove you and your personally identifiable information from our records or refrain from using your personally identifiable information in connection with certain services on request if you contact us with your requests at email@example.com . Please note that this may prevent you from accessing the SABINET websites and services if we require this information in order to perform in terms of our service level agreement.
You may choose to stop receiving our newsletter or marketing emails by following the unsubscribe instructions included in these emails or you can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org .
We protect your personal information from unauthorised access and disclosure through the use of passwords, physical security measures, managerial measures, and in connection with credit card information for order sales encryption through our third party service providers. We nonetheless recognise that third parties may obtain access to information through unlawful actions, and thus do not promise that your information will always remain private, despite our efforts and the importance we place on maintaining your privacy. In addition, we do not claim any responsibility for information collected by or from websites linking to or from SABINET Websites.
In the event that we discover or are notified of a security breach where personal information is at risk, we will notify you electronically if we have your email address. If you do not wish to be notified via email in the event of a breach, please contact us at email@example.com
Upon request SABINET will provide you with information about whether we hold any of your personal information. If you would like to review, delete or update your information, you may contact us using the contact information below. We will permit you to correct, amend, or delete information that is demonstrated to be inaccurate. We will respond to your request within a reasonable timeframe. Please note, because of the way we maintain certain services, after you delete or amend your information, residual copies may take a period of time before they are deleted from our active servers and may remain in our backup systems.
You will need to provide sufficient identifying information, such as your name and email address and possible additional identifying information as a security precaution.
We will retain your information for as long as your account is active or as needed to provide you services or required by law. If you wish to cancel your account or request that we no longer use your information to provide you services contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org . We will retain and use your information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
If you have an unresolved privacy or data concern that we have not addressed satisfactorily, European Union data subjects may seek an administrative or judicial remedy or to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority, in particular in the member state of his or her habitual residence, place of work or place of the alleged infringement if the data subject considers that the processing of personal data relating to him or her infringes the GDPR. Information on how to file such a complaint is available here http://ec.europa.eu/justice/article-29/structure/data-protection-authorities/index_en.htm.
For South African data subjects information on how to file a complaint or contact the Information Regulator is available here http://www.justice.gov.za/inforeg/ .